The Dawn of My 40th Year

When I was growing up, I remember 40 was celebrated with "Over the Hill" signs and black balloons. It seemed so old and so far away. It feels a little different from that, now, with that fateful day looming less than three weeks away. My early thirties were rough, filled with low self esteem, poor money management, and even worse relationship decisions. As I grew out of that and progressed into my mid-to-late 30s, things became infinitely better. I made major advances in my career, bought a house, took up running, and feel comfortable in my own skin. Usually. Unless a handsome man is involved, then I am an awkward 14 year old again. Does that ever stop? I have never wanted kids, but thought I would at least be settled into a long-term relationship by now. I suppose that is my only real disappointment as I get older. I am okay being single- independent, can take care of myself and such, but the companionship would be nice. Traveling as much as I do for work (150 nights in hotels in 2019, but who's really counting) makes the already difficult dating scene in Salt Lake even worse. I am looking forward to my 40s, to be honest. I don't feel old. I am a little heavier than I would like and my liver likes to remind me I am not as young as I used to be, but other than that, I feel pretty great.

Two things I am setting out to accomplish in my 40th year on this planet are completing a triathlon and moving to Southern California. Go big or go home, right?

Tri-ing something new.
I have run a handful of half marathons, the Wasatch Back Ragnar relay, and even a beer mile (and didn't throw up TYVM), so I decided I wanted to up the physical challenge game. I have neither the time nor the desire to train for a full marathon. I decided on a tri, not only because it is something new, but because I don't know how to swim. Makes total sense, yes? When I was a kid, I had a few sessions of "how not to drown" lessons, but never learned to properly swim. I have wanted to learn to swim for a long time, but never had a compelling reason to push me to learn. My running coach referred me to the folks at SwimLabs. I have had a few lessons and it is so hard! I am a reasonably athletic person, but learning to swim has been a humbling and frustrating experience. There is a lot to remember- proper head rotation, controlling my breathing, figuring out the best breathing-to-stroke ratio, and getting used to not having a full breath of air. I know it will eventually become muscle memory with enough practice. I plan on ditching my Planet Fatness membership and joining a local rec center this week so I can have access to a pool when I am home. Most hotels have pools, so I can work on things when I am traveling, too.

Is there still drama in the LBC?
I never thought I would entertain the idea of living in Southern California. The traffic and the cost of living are driving people out, but every time I travel there for work, that beautiful weather chips away at me a little bit. I have lived in Utah since I was a child and I really need  change. There are a lot of amazing things in Utah, but I am tired of the cold and the terrible air quality, the social scene, and the theocracy that is the state government. I want to live by the ocean. I want to buy wine in the grocery store. I want to be somewhere where I can drink a beer outside on my birthday in January. Long Beach is where I am focusing, because it is still reasonably "affordable" by SoCal standards and it is near the airport and the ocean. I am aware that the water in actual Long Beach is likely toxic soup thanks to the LA river and shipping port, but Seal Beach is a short cruise away. I have been there a bunch for work, but I am heading out there this coming weekend to enjoy the sun and explore some neighborhoods recommended on the Long Beach subreddit. I would like this to be my last winter in Salt Lake, but moving all depends on how much my house increases in value over the next year. The market in Salt Lake is en fuego with no signs of slowing down, so that is working in my favor. Fingers crossed.

I am one of those weird people who embraces change and challenge. It is the only way to grow as a person. If you never leave your comfort zone, how can you see what you're really capable of?


Comments

Popular Posts