Advice For New Business Travelers, Part 1.

I started traveling extensively for work about 2.5 years ago and have learned a little bit along the way. Please allow me to impart some wisdom onto you. Some of it may be common sense, some of it will be personal preference, some will be dependent on how much you're on the road, but it'll give you something to think about. I will talk more about how/what to pack and what I carry on the plane in later posts. I hope I don't get too long-winded here. I have learned a lot of things that I wish someone had told me.

1. Stay organized! Seriously. A place for everything and everything in its place ensures your shit arrives and leaves with you. Don't just throw your crap into the bottomless abyss that is your backpack- this is how things get lost or broken. Taking a second to put your phone charging cable into wherever you deem its home is means when you're digging around for said phone charger, you know right where it is. I am still searching for the perfect backpack. I have an eBags backpack that is just a little too small, though it is quite popular among travelers. I'm back to carrying my less-professional, but much roomier, UnderArmor bag.

2. Sign up for Global Entry. It's $100 for 5 years and also includes TSA Pre-Check. Some credit cards offer application fee credits, too, so it could be free! Global Entry makes coming back into the country easier and you can also go through the Trusted Traveler lines at some foreign airports, such as in Canada (eh). Even if you don't plan on traveling internationally, plans change. Pre-Check is $80. Just spend the extra $20 for Global Entry. TSA Pre-Check enables you to go though a dedicated security line where you don't have to take off your shoes (thank baby jeebus), remove liquids or laptops, and you just go through a metal detector. So. Much. Faster. Once you have your Known Traveler Number and have been vetted, add it to your airline profiles and Pre-Check will show up on your boarding pass. If it doesn't, just go to the check-in counter with your Global Entry card and they'll get it added. You can do this at some self-check in kiosks as well.

Another really great reason to have Global Entry is the card serves as a form of acceptable ID in case you lose your driver license when traveling domestically. It is Real ID compliant, too. It will not replace your passport, though. More here. Also, get your passport. You're an adult and you travel for work. You should have a passport.

3. Try out different airlines and hotel chains to see which ones you prefer for the first few months, then pick a brand and stick with it. Sign up for the reward programs and at least one credit card, either for the airline or your hotel chain of choice. This will help you build points and status faster. Having a high status is good for several reasons- not only do you get the perks like free upgrades, free breakfast, and access to lounges, but you also get dedicated customer service lines that tend to have better-trained people that can competently help you out when you're in a bind. For example, I am a Globalist with Hyatt, which gives me a dedicated person I can reach out to if I have an issue. My dumb ass booked the wrong Hyatt Place in Dallas. I discovered this the day I was supposed to check in. I gave her a jingle and explained the situation and she was able to get me sorted out with no penalties or fees.

Check out The Points Guy for a breakdown of hotel and airline reward programs and benefits, as well as credit card benefits. I fly Delta, mainly because I live in a hub, but I do believe they are probably the best US airline out there. I am a globalist with Hyatt and platinum with Marriott. Those statuses allow me access to the lounge for breakfast, drinks, and snacks as well as complimentary room upgrades and late checkouts.

4. You're going to need a better suitcase that that cheap-o $60 bag from TJ Maxx, especially if you plan on checking luggage, which I usually do (I don't like hauling my bag through the airport and constantly replacing TSA-size toiletries). I went through 3(!!!) suitcases in my first year and a half of travel. I had a hard-sided back that cracked like an egg in SJC, a soft-sided bag that incurred a busted wheel in PHL, and another soft-sided back with a busted zipper whose handle decided to stop moving up and down. I thought I was going to have to go full Tumi, but I didn't want to spend $800 on a suitcase. I kept seeing ads on Instagram for Away suitcases. I decided to give that bag a try and OMG I love it and them!! I have the larger carry-on size in gray. I can easily pack for a 4-5 day trip, including gym clothes and shoes with room to spare in case I find an interesting sour beer or gin to bring home. My bag arrived with a huge dent in the corner after some trip. I sent a pictures in an email to the folks at Away and they sent me a new suitcase with a shipping label to send the old one back! How awesome is that? They stand behind their product and are a women-owned business, which is also cool.

5. Get out an explore the area. Staying in your dark hotel room by yourself night after night is boring and soul-sucking. Don't judge a city based on stereotypes- find out what's there for yourself. I live in Salt Lake City. I'm sure you have plenty of pre-conceived notions about this place and I'll bet dollars-to-donuts I can prove you wrong. I've had an amazing time in places like Fargo, ND or Lincoln, NE. You never know what sorts of hidden gems you'll find- cool shops, great restaurants, a delicious local beer, or a lovely running/walking path. I like to stay walkable areas, even if it means I have to drive a little further in the morning for work. It's a nice way to see a new place and you'll get a little exercise wandering to and from dinner. When I'm looking for a restaurant and I'm traveling alone, I look for somewhere that has a bar to sit at. I like the interaction and I can ask the bartender about other things I should see or do while I'm in town. Where else should I eat? Who makes a good cocktail? I have lists on my phone of places to check out in different cities because people are always giving me recommendations. Also, people don't judge you for eating alone and who cares if they do? It isn't awkward and people pay way less attention to you than you think they do, so get over it. If you're in an area with a handful of hotels, chances are the other people dining alone are traveling for business too.

Business travel can be lonely, exhausting, and difficult. But there are so many fantastic things about it, too. You may go places you would have never had reason to before and you meet all kinds of interesting people along the way. Having a system and having your shit together can take some of the time and stress out of the packing and traveling part so you have more time and energy to enjoy where you are. People envy those of us who get to galavant across the country and world for our jobs, and despite some of the drawbacks, it's always nice to say "yeah, it really is cool to be able to travel for work. I am really lucky."

Comments

Popular Posts