12 August, 2012

Five Fantastic Things

This is going to be a girly post. So, gentleman, you may want to check back later for something a little more relevant to your interests.

Eins  (I'm not sure why I'm going with German numbers today. It sounded fun.)

I love nail polish. I've been really into blues and greens lately. And thanks to that evil Pinterest website (a post about my Pinterest adventures will come soon), I found my new favorite color. It's called "For Audrey" by China Glaze; it's Tiffany blue and so, so pretty. I've worn it a couple of times now. The first time, I wore it on all of my fingers. This time, I've paired it with "You Don't Know Jacques" by OPI with Jacques on everything but my ring fingers. I think "For Audrey" is the perfect shade for someone who wants to try a trendier color, but does not want it to be too flashy. It's subtle and classy. Like me. Oh! And this is the best. topcoat. ever. It is super-thick, keeps my mani looking good for a week, and it dries quickly.

Zwei

The sock bun seems to be all the rage right now. My hair is long, but it is fine and often uncooperative, so the cut-the-toe-off-your-boyfriend's-sock technique did not work very well for me. I couldn't get my hair to tuck and roll. My coworker told me about this little gem from Sally Beauty Supply. It's made out of a meshy material that helps grip my hair as I roll it into the bun. I've also discovered that spraying my hair with a bit of water also helps. The best part about this method is no bobby pins are needed to hold it in place! I use a few to touch up the unruly areas, but the bun holds itself together nicely on its own. The hair donut comes in black, brown, and blonde so you gingers are out of luck. Here's a YouTube video describing how to get this look. I had try doing this style a few times before I got it to look right, but now I wear my hair like this at least twice a week.

Drei

I wasted precious hours of my life that I can never get back reading 50 Shades of Grey. How can something so poorly written, so trite, so cliche be an effing best seller?! I've read hotter love scenes in a Nora Roberts book. Let me talk to you about a book that is a much better story, so much better written, and has much more appealing characters. I am currently reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and I am totally sucked in. Main character Claire Randal is a former WWII Brittish combat nurse who gets sucked back two hundred years after wandering into a stonehenge-like circle of rocks. The book details her adventures trying to adapt to the Scottish culture in a period where they are fighting the English, modern medicine hasn't been invented, and she is forced to marry a kilt-wearing Scottish hotty for her own protection. This book has all of the things I look for- well-developed characters, adventure, a little romance, and an actual plot. It is the first book in a series of seven or eight and, I'm not going to lie, the length of the books and the series is a little daunting, but if they are all as good as the first one, I'm sure I'll be grateful.

Vier

Do you like Pride and Prejudice? Have you read the book and watched the A&E miniseries over and over? Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy = Swoon... but I've gotten side-tracked. I found a really cool webseries on YouTube that is based on P&P, but is set in modern times. Lizzie Bennett is a college student making a video blog about her life. Jane, Charlotte, and Lydia make appearances among others. It's hilarious and brilliantly done. She posts new episodes every Monday and Thursday. I've posted the first video in the series below. Here is a link to Lizzie Bennett's YouTube channel and here is a link to all of other stuff I've watched on YouTube recently.



Funf

The Mary Sue is one of my favorite websites. They say they are a guide to geek girl culture, but I think they are tribute to female awesomeness. Articles range from comic book news to video games to smart women doing great things in the world. Even if you don't style yourself as a geek, the site is worth checking out. I think it is refreshing to see a site that has articles that have a very positive female spin on them. The geek world can be a rough place for the ladies from time to time, but you'll be among friends here.









1 comment:

  1. Hi Natalie!

    This is very random, but I found you through my online research either through food/workout blogs, nutrition, health, or frozen yogurt lovers.

    My name is Harley, and I am a casting associate for a brand new, feel-good, reality TV show, and we are coming from Los Angeles to cast in Salt Lake City!
    I am currently looking for customers, ex or present, of TCBY Yogurt. Now is your chance to tell them what you find wrong with the brand, and implement your ideas! Anything from gluten free options, to sugar-free options, to healthier toppings, etc etc. This is your chance to save people's jobs in your local community that work for the brand, PLUS, be compensated for your time.
    Tell your friends/ family / co-workers etc about this opportunity as well! The more the merrier. We will be coming to SLC sometime in Sept. Please email me (harley.konner@gmail.com) with any questions, and I can reply with fliers with more info.
    Thanks so much for your time, and help,
    Harley
    Casting Associate
    "The Customer Is Always Right"

    ReplyDelete