18 May, 2012

Get Out of My Head, Yo!

Turns out I'm not very good at this blog thing. I think I had delusions of grandeur when I started thinking about doing this. "I can totally write a blog. I'm funny and interesting! Who wouldn't want to read the drivel I come up with? Maybe I'll get that OPI nail polish line I've always wanted to design. Ooh! I could even be interviewed by Ira Flatow or have Carl Kassel's voice on my answering machine if this shit goes viral!" *sigh* I've recently realized that there's a popular blogger that also goes by Chic Geek, so I'll be changing the name of my blog in the near future. I'm not as clever as I thought I was, I suppose. Let the brainstorming begin...

Enough about that. The real reason for this post is I've had about a few completely random songs stuck in my  head for the last few weeks, so I am going to do you all a favor and post the YouTube videos of them so they can be stuck in your head too! You'll thank me for this. I promise.

Here Comes the Sun by The Beatles, as covered by Nicki Bluhm and the Gramblers.
Someone I follow on Twitter or Tumblr posted a link to Nicki Bluhm's cover of Hall and Oats' I Can't Go For That a while back and I instantly became a fan. There is a whole series of videos on the band's YouTube Channel that they've recorded whilst driving around in a van. The driver usually appears to be watching the road. I think she has a great voice, folky and soulful. Is "folky" a word? I don't want to use "folksy" because it reminds me of Sarah Palin. Bleh.



Star Wars (John Williams is the Man) by Moosebutter.
"Kiss a Wookie, kick a droid, fly the Falcon through an asteroid." This is nothing short of brilliant and amazing-- the story of Star Wars sung to several movie themes by John Williams. I knew one or two of the original members of this group when I was in the marching band at the University of Utah. In fact, I heard them perform this live more than 10 ago. So cool. I can't hear the march from Raiders of the Lost Ark without singing Moosebutter's lyrics in my head. Or sometimes out loud. Just watch the video. You'll understand what I mean.


The Enchanted Tiki Room from Disneyland.
"Where the birds sing words and the flowers croon, in the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room." My coworker recently returned from the Happiest Place on Earth and declared that if he were to ever smoke weed (he's Mormon and we work in a drug testing lab), it would be right before watching this show. Ever since then, this song will. not. leave. my. brain. Gah!


There you go. You're welcome. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment